Recruitment & Selection
The application process includes the following:
- Written application
- Written examination
- Oral Interview Board
- Psychological Screening
- Background Investigation
- Drug Test
- Medical/Physical Exam
- Physical Agility Test
The following is also required:
- At least 21 years of age
- High School Diploma
- Current, valid driver's license
- No criminal record
- Applicants may not have tattoos, body art, brands, or body piercing which would be visible while wearing the department's summer uniform (short sleeves). This does not include the piercing of the ear lobe for female applicants.
Officers must complete nine (9) weeks of intensive training at the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy in Columbia. Upon graduation, probationary officers are normally assigned to the Uniform Patrol Division where field training officers work with them individually, instructing them in all aspects necessary for a successful law enforcement career. Periodic in-service training is delivered to experienced officers on a continuous basis.
As a member of the Greenwood Police Department you will be eligible to participate in a variety of benefits.
- Insurance. Medical, dental, and life insurance are paid at no cost to the employee. Family members may be added to the medical/dental insurance program at a group rate.
- Holidays. You are given 12 paid holidays per year. Vacation and sick leave are accrued at the rate of 1 day per month, each.
- Military Leave. Members who are military reservists may receive up to 15 days of military leave with pay per year.
- Retirement. Officers participate in the South Carolina Police Officer Retirement System. The city and the officer contribute funds monthly to this program.
All officers who meet the required qualifications may compete for promotion within the Greenwood Police Department. Additionally, experienced officers may choose to compete for any of the occupational specialties as vacancies occur:
- Court Liaison
- Crime Prevention
- Crime Scene Technician
- Juvenile Officer
- Traffic Unit
- Canine Handler
Salary levels are competitive, and depend upon the officers’ rank in the department. Additionally, educational incentive pay is available for an Associates Degree in Criminal Justice or a Bachelors Degree in any field. Starting pay for non-certified officers, effective 2008 is $28,184.00. Educational pay available is $1,200 per year.
We Are an Equal Opportunity Employer