In an effort to reduce the number of mosquitoes, the City of Greenwood provides mosquito control through an integrated mosquito management program of larval management (to reduce immature mosquitoes) and nighttime spraying (for mature flying mosquitoes). Please note that the City only sprays in areas of the City where residents have requested this service. For Mosquito Control Services, please call the Finance Department at (864) 942-8420 or complete a Citizen Request Form.
For information about mosquito control in the County, please contact Lake Management at 864.943.2648
THE MORE YOU KNOW....
At least 61 different species of mosquitoes exist in South Carolina. The two-winged insects — whose name means "little fly" — are closely related to flies like gnats and no-see-ums.
Mosquitoes are a pest that can cause itchy bites, but they can also cause more serious health issues like spreading diseases. The most common diseases that could potentially be carried by mosquitoes in South Carolina include: West Nile, Eastern Equine Encephalitis, La Crosse encephalitis, Saint Louis encephalitis virus, and dog/cat heartworm.
Do your part to prevent the spread of mosquitoes and mosquito related diseases by:
- Closing doors when you come inside
- Using screens on doors and windows
- Using EPA approved insect repellant (A few examples include: OFF!, Cutter, Repel, Sawyer, Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus, Skin Smart)
- Covering your skin with long sleeves and pants
- On a weekly basis, drain, refresh and cover anything around buildings that can hold water (*Mosquitoes can breed in standing water as small as a bottle cap).
- Putting away outside items not in use