Jury rosters are prepared from among the licensed drivers residing in the City of Greenwood.
You are disqualified as a juror if:
- You are not a U.S. citizen
- You are not a resident of the municipality of greenwood.
- You are a commissioned police officer, sheriff, constable or person employed within the walls of city hall.
- You cannot read, write or understand the English language.
- You have less than a sixth (6th) grade education or its equivalent.
- You have been convicted in a state or federal court of a crime that carries a sentence of more than one year imprisonment and who have not been pardoned or given amnesty for that conviction.
- You have a mental or physical condition that prevents you from serving as a juror (doctor excuse required)
You may be excused from jury duty if you are:
- If you are 65 years or older and wish to be excused.
- You are the primary caretaker of a disabled person or a person age 65 or older who cannot care for him/herself.
- You have legal custody and duty of care for a child under the age of seven and who cannot provide adequate childcare while service as a juror.
- A student or a school employee who wishes to be transferred to a later date that will not conflict with a school term.
- A person who is a guard, keeper, employee or other officer at a state penitentiary.
All requests to be excused / information about jury duty should be directed to the Municipal Court (864) 942-8474.
What happens if I fail to appear for Jury Duty?
If you fail to appear for jury duty without approval by the court you may be held in Contempt of Court, sentenced to a fine of $1,087.50 or 30 days.