border graphic

Municipal Court FAQs

What are my legal rights?
  1. The right to be represented by an attorney. A Public Defender may be appointed for offenses that you may be sentenced to jail time. The defendant must meet eligibility requirements as determined by the court.
  2. The right to a jury trial
  3. The right to a continuance of your case in order to obtain an attorney or to have witnesses subpoenaed by the court. You must first attempt to contact the arresting officer in order to ascertain a new court date if the request is not made on the date you appear when all parties are present. If this fails, then contact the court and we will assist you in getting in contact with the officer.
What happens if I fail to appear in court?
If you fail to appear for your scheduled court date without approval or a continuance by the court, a bench warrant may be issued for your arrest. If you are a witness, properly subpoenaed, and you fail to attend you may be held in Contempt of Court, sentenced to a fine of $1,087.50 or 30 days.

For certain violations, the Department of Motor Vehicle will be notified of your failure to appear and your driver's license will be suspended.
What happens if you can't come to court on your scheduled court date?
You must contact the arresting officer in order to secure a new court date. The arresting officer may be contacted by calling (864) 942-8405. If there are problems in contacting the officer or securing the new court date then contact the Municipal Court Office at (864) 942-8474 for assistance in contacting the officer.
What other courtroom policies do I need to be aware of?
  • All cell phones and pagers must be turned off or mute
  • No food or drink is allowed in the courtroom
  • Appropriate dress required
  • Children that disrupt court sessions will not be allowed therein. The parent or guardian will be asked to remove the child/children from the court room.
  • Motion to Redact in DUI/DUAC Cases
Can I pay my fine online?
Yes. The Greenwood Municipal Court accepts, credit and debit card payments on line for a fee of 4% in addition to the amount of fine paid. Click here to PAY ONLINE. To search by ticket number, you must enter the last eight digits of your ticket number at the bottom of your Uniform Traffic Ticket. 
border graphic