Join the GPD
Think you have what it takes to become a Greenwood Police Officer?
Law Enforcement is a very noble profession, and one of the most rewarding careers a person can choose. As a police officer with the City of Greenwood, you will have a chance each and every day to affect your friends, family, and neighbors by helping to provide a safe and enjoyable community. If you are looking for a career where you get to work with dedicated people to make a difference, the Greenwood Police Department could be the place for you!
Start by clicking the link below to download an employment application for the City of Greenwood, or stop by our office to obtain one. As vacancies become available, applicants undergo a screening process, including the following:
- Online or Written Application
- Written Examination
- Oral Interview Board
- Psychological Screening
- Background Investigation
- Drug Test
- Medical/Physical Exam
- Physical Ability Test
In order to be eligible for selection, the applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Be at least 21 years of Age
- Have a High School Diploma or a G.E.D.
- Possess a Current, Valid Driver's License
- Have no Significant Criminal Record
- Applicants may not have body art, brands, or body piercing which would be visible while wearing the department's summer uniform (short sleeves). This does not include the piercing of the ear lobe for female applicants. Applicants with tattoos that would be visible in a short-sleeve uniform must have their tattoos approved by the Chief of Police.
Officers must complete twelve (12) weeks of intensive training at the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy in Columbia. Upon graduation, probationary officers are normally assigned to the Uniform Patrol Division where field training officers work with them individually, instructing them in all aspects necessary for a successful law enforcement career. Periodic in-service training is delivered to experienced officers on a continuous basis.
As a member of the Greenwood Police Department you will be eligible to participate in a variety of benefits.
- Insurance. Medical, dental, and life insurance are paid at no cost to the employee. Family members may be added to the medical/dental insurance program at a group rate.
- Holidays. You are given 12 paid holidays per year. Vacation and sick leave are accrued at the rate of 1 day per month, each.
- Military Leave. Members who are military reservists may receive up to 15 days of military leave with pay per year.
- Retirement. Officers participate in the South Carolina Police Officer Retirement System. The city and the officer contribute funds monthly to this program.
All officers who meet the required qualifications may compete for promotion within the Greenwood Police Department. Additionally, experienced officers may choose to compete for any of the occupational specialties as vacancies occur:
- Court Liaison
- Crime Prevention
- Crime Scene Technician
- Juvenile Officer
- Traffic Unit
- Canine Handler
- Drug Enforcement Unit
- Special Weapons & Tactics (SWAT)
Salary levels are competitive, and depend upon the officers’ rank in the department. Additionally, educational incentive pay ($1200.00 per year) is available for officers who have completed an Associates Degree in Criminal Justice or a Bachelors Degree in any field. Effective January 2023, the starting pay for non-certified officers is $42,390.40.
We Are an Equal Opportunity Employer