Mayor's Youth Council
APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2023-2024 MAYOR'S YOUTH COUNCIL ARE BEING ACCEPTED THROUGH AUGUST 31, 2023.
MYC APPLICATION - 2023-2024
What is the Mayor's Youth Council?
- The Mayor’s Youth Council (MYC): - represents the youth of Greenwood and serves as a liaison with government officials and community leaders
- Interactive civics leadership training, giving Greenwood youth the opportunity to gain understanding of the operations of local government, to be heard and make a difference.
- be a rising 10th, 11th or 12th grade student in good academic standing residing in Greenwood County School District 50
- have a strong interest in building a better Greenwood
- make time to fulfill membership commitment
Members are selected to serve a one-year term from August to May with annual re-application
What we do:
• MYC convenes monthly at City Hall (520 Monument Street) typically in the evenings from 5:30-7:00 p.m.
• Members are encouraged to provide perspectives, ideas and strategies about how Greenwood can best combat community issues
• Members provide input as to the direction of the MYC program
• MYC identifies and connects Greenwood youth with volunteer service opportunities
• Members provide insight into ways to retain our youth in Greenwood after formal education
• Members connect with government officials to give input on policies and practices that affect young people
Responsibilities of the members:
• Regularly attend and participate in MYC meetings and events
• Participate in MYC goal setting
• Assist in preparing monthly meeting agenda
• Review agenda and supporting materials prior to meetings
• Stay informed about community issues
• Actively serve on at least 1 committee
• Attend at least two (2) Greenwood City Council meetings annually
• Engage in community service
Ryan Thomas, Assistant City Manager