The Building Official plans, organizes and administers activities of the building inspections program. Responsibilities of the Building Official also include:
- Administering compliance with City’s regulatory codes
- Conducts building plan reviews to determine code compliance before the issuance of permit
- Inspects old and dangerous structures for compliance with standard housing code and substandard structure abatement code
- Interprets and explains codes, ordinances and regulations to contractors, homeowners and other interested parties
- Investigates and responds to complaints related to violations of City ordinances, ensuring subsequent compliance
- Oversees site visits for code compliance and inspections
- Responds to citizen questions
- We perform countywide inspections
The checklist above can be helpful when planning a project that requires a contractor.
Building & Code Enforcement
(864) 942-8424 or (864) 942-8478
528 Monument Street
Basement Room B-3
The City Building Department provides inspection services countywide. The Building Inspection Office provides plan reviews, permitting and inspections for new construction, remodeling, and additions to buildings for the purpose of public safety, health, and general welfare as it pertains to the built environment. Information is also provided concerning the adopted codes and ordinances, as well as state and federal laws that pertain to building construction.
This office also enforces local ordinances that establish requirements for unsafe buildings, substandard housing, trash, debris, overgrowth, and abandoned vehicles within the City limits of Greenwood.
Staff are ready to assist with everything you need to know about commercial and residential building codes, permitting, code enforcement and nuisance/abatement.