To obtain a permit for work inside of the City of Greenwood, you must possess a state license issued by the South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation. You must also obtain a City of Greenwood Business License. For work in Greenwood County, a business license is not required, but a permit is required.
Instructions for Applying and Paying for Permits Online
Building Permit and Code Violation Search
All residents have access to the Building Permit and Code Violation search tool at the link below. Simply enter the desired property address or parcel ID to see the detailed building permit and code violation history of any property in Greenwood County.
Questions? Contact a Permit Tech for assistance.
Connie Cannon - (864) 942-8440
Caridad Timmerman - (864) 942-8478
Jennifer Tumblin - (864) 942-8424
A Building Permit Application will be accepted only when the following information is received:
- An approved site sketch, required by the Planning and Zoning Department, showing dimensions of structure and setbacks on new construction, additions, and enclosure of an existing exterior area;
- Physical address for job site assigned by GIS;
- Name of property owner;
- City business licenses for the contractor and all subcontractors if job is located within the City limits;
- State licensing number for the contractor and all subcontractors where required by state law;
- Four (4) sets of drawings (to scale) are required on all new commercial structures and additions, as well as on all new commercial and manufacturing renovations. Only (2) sets are required for residential;
- A South Carolina Architectural seal is required on the following:
- All Assembly, Educational and Institutional Occupancies.
- Buildings and structures three or more stories high. (except one and two family dwellings)
- Buildings and structures five thousand (5,000) square feet or more in area.
- A site plan is required on all commercial and residential applications for new construction and additions.
- A Land Disturbance form may be required if parcel is in Land Disturbance area of Lake Greenwood.